Sunday, January 3, 2021

Sorting fabrics

Another few weeks slipped past with no quilting or embroidery done.  The past two weeks was just spend relaxing and wondering what 2021 will bring as for me personally 2020 ended on a very low note.  

The new job I was so exited about did not work out and as I am writing this I am still jobless as all in the engineering industry closed over the holiday season.  As the industry is also in a very precarious position due to an almost bankrupt government, the prospect of finding another job is slim at best.  But, as Jenny of Elefantz so eloquently put it, we should not despair "for we know the Lord is for us and not against us, that He will make a way where there seems no way, and He will provide for His flock." 

My machine is however a totally different story as it is now already out of order for two months.  As the matter is still ongoing, I will write about that later.  I am taking it for a second opinion tomorrow and will hopefully get it fixed soon.  I might have to fall back on machine embroidery and quilting to supplement our income so I need my machine up and running.  It might also be time to seriously start designing and selling embroidery designs online with the digitizing program I won way back in 2004 and never really had time to get going whilst working fulltime.  I am still praying about this for guidance as to what direction I should take.

The only thing I did manage to do was sorting through my fabrics and copied two of my friends who started organizing their fabrics neatly.  It was however a huge task as I first had to cut up empty boxes to A4 sizes and then wrapping the fabrics around it.  But it was all worth it as the before and after pictures clearly show.  Now I can actually see what is there at first glance.  This however exclude my quilting fabrics which are stowed away in drawers.

This was the mess before

and now all is stacked neatly.

Friday, December 18, 2020

Homestead Quilt 10

Sadly nothing much happened around here the past month for various reasons.  I did embroider a few more pieces of the crazy quilt handbags as well as another 4 blocks of this quilt.

Block 40 Cactus Pot

Block 41 Goose tracks

Block 42 Sister's Choice

Block 43 Five Square

Hopefully with me now on a two week break, I will be able to catch up with all the projects.  But with 2 new books of Karen Kingsbury gifted to me by my daughter and the swimming pool calling, we'll see about that. 😊

Sunday, November 1, 2020

Crazy Quilt handbags

I've been embroidering on these a few weeks. At this stage it is just puzzle pieces which will be stitched together to form 2 handbags, one in red tones and the other one in black and grey.  Although I love BFC creations designs, these ones haven't grown on me yet.  The crazy quilting part is fine, but the embroidery done on the various pieces is not up to their usual standard.  If I had known this beforehand, I would have added other designs.  But, the final product might surprise me when it's done.  

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Homestead Quilt 9

I have been less productive the past few weeks as I changed from work and found it absolutely stressful.  I have been working in the Roads Department of a local engineering company for most of the past 40 years but as things are falling apart quite rapidly in all of the State Owned Entities in South Africa, I could not pass up the opportunity to work from home for a UK company although it meant learning a new draughting program (Microstation) as well as changing to railways and all the electrical installations that goes with it.  But by taking baby steps and utilizing Google as well as YouTube tutorials, it is getting better every day.

I did manage to finish another 4 blocks of this quilt though.

Block 36 Wishing Ring

Block 37 Wild goose chase

Block 38 Diamond grid

Block 39 Fool's square

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Homestead Quilt 8

 Another 8 blocks finished and only 15 more to go.

Block 27 Easter Basket

Block 28 Basket of flowers

Block 29 Wild goose chase

Block 30 Framed nine patch

Block 31 Fruit basket

Block 32 Cactus pot

Block 33 Alaska homestead 

Block 34 Basket of flowers

Block 35 Sister's choice

Friday, September 25, 2020

Spiral Burst - complete

I finally finished this quilt a few weeks ago.  It is such a huge quilt that I just did straight stitching in grey for the quilting.  Then I added diagonal lines as well and ended up with a diamond pattern.  For the binding I used up the last of the bargello strips by just unpicking the previous stitching and sewing them together in one long strip.

A close up of the stitching from the front and the back (below).

My two companions whilst I'm stitching away laying on the hexagon quilt I finished earlier this year.

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Homestead Quilt 7

 Another 6 blocks finished and this quilt is halfway done.

Block 21 Little Basket

Block 22 Oregon

Block 23 Basket of grapes

Block 24 Fool's square

Block 25 Mother's day basket

Block 26 diamond grid